Alex is available for Private Lessons, School Assemblies, and Residencies as well as Master Classes or Clinics.
View Alex’s CV
Alex is offering lessons online to beginning- advanced students on:
- Piano Accordion
- Diatonic Button Accordion
- Music arranging- styles ranging from Polkas, Jazz and Traditional folk/ world fusion for any instrument or combination of instruments
Alex has a double Bachelor’s degree in Trumpet Performance and Music Education from Ithaca College School of Music, as well as a Master’s Degree in Trumpet Performance. His over 35 years of stage experience is matched with over 25 years of teaching experience in elementary, middle and high schools as well as University settings and Private masterclasses, teaching studios. He brings the same enthusiasm and real-world knowledge that he has on stage to his teaching. Please contact Alex about rates and availability via firstname.lastname@example.org
School Assemblies and Residencies
Alex’s enthusiasm as a performer and music educator is often presented with school assembly performances/workshops and multiple-day residencies at elementary, middle and high schools.
For assemblies, Alex has a wide range of programs available including:
- Fascinating Rhythms of the World: Alex performs on horns, accordions, and percussion to present a world music program that displays folk music from Europe, Africa and the Americas mixed with classical, jazz and pop musical styles.
- Horns A Plenty: The trumpet, trombone, baritone horn, slide trumpet (soprano trombone), flugelhorn, cornet, and alphorn are all displayed to the students to learn about the various types of horns – their construction, evolution and the musical styles that are performed on them.
- Evolution of a Song: This workshop is designed for students learning about the fundamentals and development of musical styles. This discussion class assembly utilizes recordings of songs performed by different artists through the years to display how the same song can be performed in many styles.
For residencies, Alex normally works in a school for 5 days or 10 days after he has developed a program with the school’s music teacher(s). Past residencies have resulted in the introduction or development of a jazz program in a high school; exposure to multi-cultural world music and jazz styles that are not normally found in the school as well as beginning and advanced musical arranging/theory programs.
Residencies can combine many different performance and workshops over the course of the week (or 2 weeks) to give the students and teachers a full enrichment experience. Additional educational work in residencies has also included commissioning Alex to compose works for school ensembles, community concerts and adjudication of solo/ensemble and jazz festivals.
Since 2001, Alex has been a Pennsylvania Council on the Arts (PCA) “Artist in Education”. This program has provided funding at some schools for workshops, visits and performances. In Centre, Clinton and Clearfield Counties, Alex is available through Galaxy Arts in Education.
Master Classes and Clinics
Alex’s educational programs also include a wide variety of Master classes and clinics that have been offered at schools, community functions, music festivals and instrumental conferences.
As a clinician, Alex is available to work with specific instruments, entire ensembles or open master classes that combine instruments.
A sampling of master class/clinic themes include:
- Fundamentals of technique/style (in jazz, classical, ethnic or pop genres)
- Improvising solos in jazz ensembles
- Relating the diatonic button accordion to the piano accordion styles/technique
- So you want to play polkas? An overview of styles for solo/band accordionist
- Fusing world music influences with jazz for arranging, composing and performing
- Brass performance topics: consistent sound production, range building, style
“Mittelstadt Elementary teachers and students say a BIG “Thank You” to Alex Meixner for visiting our school, and providing two wonderful assemblies where he entertained us with his instruments, song and dance, and an education on our German Heritage! Alex was friendly, funny, and personable with our students, and they loved him!”
3rd Grade Teacher
“Alex Meixner’s outreach program for German and music students is a great proponent for German culture and music. His presence, both on and off-stage, commands the interest and attention of his audience and his air of genuine concern for youth is apparent and allows him to quickly develop a great rapport with them. His visit to our school was greatly appreciated by both students and staff.”
New Braunfels High School
“Alex has a way of challenging young people to think about the how’s and why’s of music. His energetic and enthusiastic approach inspires students to reach for higher goals.”
Tom Kunkle, Music Department Chairperson (retired)
Hollidaysburg Area School District Hollidaysburg, PA
“Alex was awesome to work with! He is an amazing musician who loves teaching music! He supercharged my band students and brought their playing to a new level. I have seen a real positive shift in my students’ focus during rehearsal.”
Paul Leskowicz, Band Director
Penns Valley High School
“Mr. Meixner’s residency here at Sugar Valley Rural Charter School was one of the most positive educational experiences, musically, that I have ever witnessed. Alex went well above and beyond the call of duty during his residency because he truly wishes to reach each and every student with whom he teaches. He not only taught them about the instruments he played, but also exuded the passion that he too, feels about music and its heritage. Alex interacted with students, teachers and parents in an extremely professional, yet personal way, which is extremely important in education today. He also made it a point to ask me what I thought, and what we were working toward as ensembles and in our education program in order to incorporate his program as part of a positive reinforcement of my program. Alex Meixner is a truly gifted musician, as well as a wonderful person. He cares, passionately about everything he does, and it is evident in his program. It was, most certainly, my pleasure to work with him!”
Cory Spotts, Music Director
Sugar Valley Rural Charter School Loganton, PA
“Thank you so much for coming! That was one of the most exhilarating classes I have ever experienced. I now have a totally different attitude towards this traditional German folk music. It’s a celebration! I’m looking forward to doing this again next year. The students enjoyed the presentation as much as I did.”
State College High School German class