Accordionists & Teachers Guild International Festival
World-acclaimed Accordionists to Perform at 77th Annual Accordion Festival July 19–23 at Hyatt Regency Lisle (Chicago) More than 100 Accordionists Will Gather to Celebrate the Accordion Through Concerts, Competitions, Workshops and
World-acclaimed Accordionists to Perform at 77th Annual Accordion Festival July 19–23 at Hyatt Regency Lisle (Chicago)
More than 100 Accordionists Will Gather to Celebrate the Accordion Through Concerts, Competitions, Workshops and Exhibits Open to the Public
LISLE, Ill., June 14, 2017 — World-acclaimed accordion artists will perform at the 77th Annual Accordion Festival hosted by the Accordionists & Teachers Guild (ATG) July 19–23, 2017, at the Hyatt Regency Lisle near Chicago.
Festival events, including concerts, competitions, workshops and exhibits, are open to the public. Single-day passes are available for $20. Evening concert tickets are $15. Tickets may be purchased at the door. Concerts will be held in the Arbor Ballroom at the Hyatt Regency Lisle.
“We are delighted to share the beauty and wonder of the accordion with the public at our 77th Annual Accordion Festival. More than 100 accordion artists will perform at the festival, sharing a wide range of music, including classical, jazz, and pop,” said Amy Jo Sawyer, president of the Accordionists & Teachers Guild.
Headlining the event are world-acclaimed accordionists:
• Quartetto Gelato of Canada – Featuring World Accordion Champion Alexander Sevastian, this world-renowned quartet will perform virtuosic showpieces, romantic tenor arias, pyrotechnical solos, and blazing gypsy show pieces. Featuring Peter Se Sotto, violinist/tenor; Liza McClellan, cellist; and Colin Maier, oboist.
• Alex Meixner – Grammy-nominated musician and producer Alex Meixner is a leading advocate of polka music and along with his band will share his love of polka with the ATG audience. He resides in Palm City, Fla.
• Paul Betken – Acclaimed jazz accordionist Paul Betken will perform selections from the Great American Songbook. Originally from Chicago, he was the accordionist for Bobby Vinton. He resides in Tempe, Ariz.
• Murl Allen Sanders – Acclaimed accordionist Sanders has performed with Chuck Berry, Etta James, and the Orchestra Seattle among others. Hailing from Seattle, he will perform jazz and contemporary music.
• The University of Missouri Kansas City (UMKC) Community Accordion Ensemble – Under the direction of Joan Cochran Sommers, the ensemble features Betty Jo Simon, Ron Barrow, Cathy Sue Weiss, Joyce Davis and Joan Cochran Sommers.
• President’s Quintet featuring members of the ATG Board, including Amy Jo Sawyer, president; Joseph Natoli, first vice president; Elizabeth Finch, second vice president/treasurer; Kenn Baert and Murl Allen Sanders. They will perform original selections written by Sawyer, Natoli and Sanders.
• The ATG Festival Orchestra, comprised of more than 50 accordionists of all levels, will also perform.
Concert Schedule — $15 per ticket:
Thursday, July 20, 7:30 p.m.:
• UMKC Accordion Ensemble
• Murl Allen Sanders
• Alex Meixner
Friday, July 21, 7:30 p.m.:
• Quartetto Gelato
Saturday, July 22, 7:30 p.m.:
• President’s Quintet
• ATG Festival Orchestra
• Paul Betken
About The Accordionists & Teachers Guild
Founded in 1940, the Accordionists & Teachers Guild, International was created to support and promote the accordion, development of music composition and arrangements specifically for accordions and to support accordionists and teachers. For more information, visit: http://www.accordions.com/atg.
(Thursday) 7:30 PM - 10:00 PM
Hyatt Regency Lisle
1400 Corporetum Dr., Lisle, IL 60532